Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sour Summer?

Oh, my! Can it be? My 100th post! Woo-hoo!

Our first taste of summer came today in the form of three "ripe" strawberries. I say "ripe" because they were red all the way around, but boy, were they sour! Only my lemon-eating Thing 1 liked them.

The whole next week is forecast for off again, on again rain. The boys are defying the weather outside and are wearing shorts. I keep trying to turn off the furnace, but wind up turning it back on again a day or two later because the temp inside is in the low 60s. If it were just me, I'd probably live with it, but as it is....

No sign yet of anything I planted over the weekend.

The last two days have been teasing, as it's cloudy all day, and suddenly clears just as the sun is going down.

Made a yummers jambalaya tonight for dinner. Thing 1 went back for thirds. Hemplers, in Bellingham, makes great andouille sausage which is a must for jambalaya, and hey - it's local! Can't say the same for the shrimp or rice in it, though. If the heat won't come from outside, I can at least provide it in the form of cayenne. :-)

Speaking of yummers, I made a scalloped potato dish that was to die for. It used a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce and smoked cheddar cheese. Sounds weird, I know, but it tasted heavenly. I got the recipe for it and the jambalaya from the America's Test Kitchen Best Recipe cookbook.

Pretty sad that I'm still making winterish comfort food in mid-June....

2 comments:

Threeundertwo said...

Congratulations on your 100th post!

Kristi said...

Thanks!