Monday, July 21, 2008

Using Less Water - Dish Tub for Vegetables

I had a "Duh, why didn't I think of that earlier?" moment a week ago. When bringing in veggies from the garden, they're of course all covered with dirt. Sometimes I would wash them off with a hose somewhere on the lawn which a.) doesn't need it, and b.) would result in a very soggy, even muddy, area which the boys would immediately jump in resulting in 1.) damage to the soil and lawn, and 2.) very muddy children.

Or, I would bring the veggies into the kitchen to wash, the consequence of which is a dirty sink and a possibly clogged drain, not to mention it's not that great for the septic system.

So I bought a small dish tub at the local hardware store, and a vegetable brush, and I can leave it by the hose at the back door, squirt in a little water, scrub away, and then use the water to irrigate the pots on the patio. Voila!



Here are the first potatoes of the year in my new veggie scrubbing tub. The potatoes are Yukon Gold, and the larger ones are over eight ounces each.


Here are the pots that are the recipients of the wash water. It was very sunny today! A little overexposed, sorry. In the back is my "mojito pot". I have spearmint and peppermint in there. If I planted them in the ground, I would have mint everywhere. The pot keeps them contained, and they seem to be happy. And I have fresh mint for my mojitos!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing! Isn't it funny how it just sort of comes to you - and you can't believe you didn't think of it before?!

Kristi, I came by to see what you were up to, and to see if you might be interested in a local blogger get-together. I've just posted about it on my new blog - will you let me know what you think?! Would love to meet you!!