Tuesday, October 9, 2007

No more strawberries

Well, I have called a moratorium on purchasing conventionally grown strawberries. If you haven't heard, the FDA is allowing the use of Methyl Iodide on plants. Mmmm. Tasty. Just what you want to feed to your kids.

How many field workers do you suppose will be sickened by this stuff? Read the recommended protective gear on the Methyl Iodide link. Supplied air, full-facepiece respirator? How many field workers have you seen wearing one of those? How many strawberry farmers do you suppose have one (or will get one?) They'll just load it into their tractor sprayers, set off, and heaven help them when the wind is behind them.

It's getting insane what they put on or in food these days. It's getting to the point where I don't want to buy anything from the store!

Take bread, for example. How long does store-bought bread last for you before it goes all moldy? Maybe a week? Even with all the anti-fungal chemicals and preservatives. I've had my homemade bread last for two (before we ate it all) without going moldy. I realize that a bakery has prime conditions for mold, but my insides don't need fungicide, thank you. Maybe they should do something about their operating conditions, instead. I can't think that the working conditions are that healthy if they allow that much mold in their bakeries.

Have I said that making bread is easy? Let me tell you again. Once you get the hang of it, it's easier than pie. You get a light upper-body workout, and can take your agressions out on the dough rather than... well, whatever you take your agression out on. Your house smells wonderful, and nothing beats the taste of fresh-baked bread. I'm tweaking my recipes, and will put them online in a couple of weeks. Stay tuned!

No comments: