Friday, October 5, 2007

New Look

Okay, so I hated that old skin. This is much better. Nice and green, and my eyes don't pop out from the pink and orange clashing. I'm sure you're thankful, too.

Got quite a bit done 'round the homestead today. Fixed the light sensor on the lamppost so that it actually turns off during the day. This turned out to be much more work than originally planned.

First off, the blasted screws were stuck. This led to an emergency trip to the hardware store and the library. Once you're out, you're out, right? And once you're at the store looking for WD-40, you remember all the other stuff you need to get, like fertilizer for the lawn.

Being that it's a gorgemous day (yes, you read that right), we walked to the library, which took a little extra time, but I saved in gas, right? The library was a really quick trip. Thing 1 and Thing 2 had their shiny new library cards in hand, and were dying to use them.

Back home and I sprayed the heck out of the screws. After a time pulling out the squash vines and weeding a bit, I went back to try the screws again. Didn't budge. After 30 minutes of prying, banging, and cussing, I managed to get the screws loose and the top off. But then I couldn't get the blasted twisty-thingies off the wires. Thankfully Thing 2 was there to help out, running back and forth to the garage for wire cutters, new twisty-thingies, and his brother. They took turns holding the lamp while I rewired the thing. Ta-Da! It worked (Thank the stars)! So now I won't be wasting electricity during the day anymore.

How much could one lamp use? Let's see: Average 12 hours (that it has been on when it shouldn't) x 60 watts x 365 days = 262.8 kW. Yikes! I need to get a CFL bulb in there soon.

After that wonderful sense of accomplishment in the field of wiring, I headed back to the field of - well, the field. Ripped out all of the tomatoes, unmangled*, stacked and stored the cages, pulled up all 400 feet of soaker hoses and stored them, and pulled more weeds. Thing 1 pulled up all 8 1/2 lbs of carrots for me, which I washed and stored.

All that fresh air and exercise wiped me out, so we went out to eat. I'm off to bed soon, with Henry David (Thoreau, dear. The book, not the dead guy. That would be really gross, whilst somehow keeping with the Halloween spirit. I'll pass.).

*Mr. E ran over my tomato cages with the lawn mower, claiming that there wasn't enough room between veg beds. Which is all very suspicious, since we measured that very carefully when we put them in, giving him two extra inches just to be sure.

No comments: