Friday, September 28, 2007

Exhaling

Yesterday morning, I received a phone call from school, telling me that Thing 2 had a fever. I rushed over and brought him home, took his temperature. He was only 99.3, and still pretty peppy even though he had a stomachache.

As the day wore on, the fever increased, and so did my anxiety. You see, Thing 2 is Type I diabetic, which throws a whole new spin on sick days. He wasn't eating, and he needs some carbohydrates to keep his blood sugar high enough to keep him from passing out. Thankfully Gatorade was palatable, and he sipped it slowly throughout the day.

By the time dinner rolled around, I felt like I had to get something in his stomach. The list of usual sick-day food wasn't sounding good to him, so I threw out acorn squash to see if anything would work. His eyes lit up a little at that, so I steamed some, mashed it with butter (mistake) and brown sugar. He made it through a little bit, then started to feel sick. This is where I panic, since he had just had insulin, and if he upchucked, what carbs would I be able to get in him then? Thankfully, he kept it down, we made it through the day, and he slept soundly all night.

On top of all this, we have to check for ketones in his urine, because if they get too high, they can cause nausea and vomiting, and then we're pretty close to going to the hospital.

So, hopefully you understand that I was holding my breath all day yesterday. (But apparently not my fingers, looking at my last post - cringe.)

This morning he woke up smiling with no fever. He's still in his Sponge Bob pjs, but he's up playing with his toys, singing and making Boy Noises. Food still isn't sounding good to him, but when it does, I'll be taking it slow this time.

No comments: