Thursday, November 3, 2011

I came across this recipe at a grocery store.  It was really yummy, although the original recipe was a bit spicy for my family (and we really like spicy food).   I think the key is to adjust the amount of red pepper flakes to taste, because the amount of heat in curry powder can vary wildly.  I have very hot curry powder, so the combination of it and 1/2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes was too much.  I'm giving the amount here as half that.

Curried Winter Squash with Apples

2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups winter squash, peeled and cubed
1-1/2 cups diced onion
1 baking apple (Granny Smith, Johnagold, etc.)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter

Mix together curry powder, salt and red pepper flakes in a large bowl.  Mix in squash, onion, apple and olive oil.  Pour into a large shallow baking dish.  Roast at 375F for 40 minutes.  Mix in butter, and roast 5 minutes more.

No comments: