Monday, September 1, 2008

August Harvest Totals

Another month has come to a close. The late spring and cool summer have certainly affected the garden. At this time last year, I had taken almost 20 pounds of apples from the trees, and at least 3 lbs of tomatoes. This year, nada on both counts. Last year, I had all of my potatoes in. This year I still have another 10+ pounds in the ground. And, due to the busy-ness of the summer, I still haven't gotten my softneck garlic braided and weighed.

Yet, I am still surpassing last year's harvest. Year to date for 2007 - 78.5 lbs. Year to date for 2008 - 87.6 lbs, an overall increase of 11%, but a 30% decrease for the month over last year. Not great, but hopefully the weather will warm so I get some tomatoes, and the apple deluge is about to hit, and it's looking like it's a doozy.

1 comment:

Sinfonian said...

How many apple trees does that represent? I've got a young one that I'm not sure how much it will eventually produce.

I'm hoping the weather turns sunny on me so I can harvest my Yukon Golds today. Not sure how I'd dry them otherwise. I feel your pain on that end.

Great work on the 11% increase, and it'll be even better if your apples, potatoes and tomatoes were in the mix last year. Way to go!