Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Some Like it Hot

What a change a couple of days can bring! On Tuesday, it was 50F and raining. It felt like March instead of mid-May. I rounded up the rest of the cross-cut shanks from my freezer. It's one of those parts of beef that you don't ever think of using, but I tell you, it makes great veggie beef soup. And veggie soup I made. Lots of it. And I now have 18 cups of soup in the freezer. It did feel like March, after all.

And in the freezer it'll stay for now. Today is supposed to be in the 80s, and tomorrow even warmer, and muggy (which we don't normally don't get around here), and I'm thinking tuna salad in pita pockets, not soup.

The tomatoes will be loving the heat. I did manage to get the cukes planted, but not the corn. I'm having the same issues as El at Fast Grow the Weeds with regards to pulling out plants. In my case it's the finally sprouting sprouting broccoli and some spinach which needs to make way for the corn.

I'm way behind in my planting. Again. Last year it was due (in part) to a wonderful vacation in Germany. This year it's weather-related. Why, oh why, can't I keep to my planting schedule? Every winter I carefully plan my garden and when to plant what, and it never works out that way. The slugs ate all my lettuce, and I do mean all of it. So now it is May, and there is no lettuce to be had, and I won't have any for two more months. Grrr.

Okay. Think positive. The onions came up well, as did the potatoes and the peas. Even the leeks made a reasonable showing. I started lots of excellent tomatoes, and almost all of them are in the ground. Breathe deep. There, that's better.

Time to go harvest the broccoli and spinach before it gets too hot (I'm a heat wimp).

No comments: