Monday, August 6, 2007

Jane, Jane, and More Jane

My "sisters", M and J, and I went to see Becoming Jane last night. I think it would have been an okay movie if I had no inkling of Jane Austen's life. Certainly was a weak script. I think they were trying to be Shakespeare in Love, and trying hard not to look like it, so what came off was a very vanilla script with a couple of cute, albeit predictable, moments. The costumes, though! Ugh. They had every fashion represented from late 1700s to 1840 or 1850. Ridiculous. I had to laugh, though. One of Anne Hathaway's dresses had this little gaping area along the neckline - I had the same problem with my dress. Shoulders back! And get a proper corset for the time period of the dress, please.

I say "sisters," because M , J, and I went to Bath, UK, last September to the Jane Austen Festival. We attended the ball there, thus the aforementioned dress. My husband had written me letters, one for each day in Bath, calling them my sisters, and inventing hilarious histories for them and their husbands (who, in the letters, they were not yet married to). So the "sisters" stuck, at least for me, who has only a younger brother. I'm not sure how they feel about it....

It was J's birthday, and I hadn't been able to get together with the two of them together for a while, so hadn't gotten anything for M's birthday, either. I found a new book, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, and got them each a copy. It looks cute, at least. I had to try very hard not to read too much of it in the car while waiting for them at the movie. I only read two or three pages! I'm hoping one will read it quickly, so they can loan it to me. My husband, Mr. E, also got them Jane Austen action figures, after the one M got me for my birthday broke. So now we all have them.

Now to wait for Northanger Abbey, and Mansfield Park to come out on TV this fall....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer that you didn't like that much. I have been wanting to see it. I saw Stardust though and that was REALLY good.

Kristi said...

Hi, Tiffany!

I'm dying to see Stardust. Babysitting is pretty thin around here, so maybe I can take the boys to Stardust, and hopefully get babysitting so I can go see Bourne Ultimatum.

Both are PG-13, but I'm finding there's a very large spread in what PG-13 means. Some movies you can take a 7-year-old to, others are so much more intense, or they feel they have to throw in a bit of off-color humor (Transformers).